×

Error

[OSYouTube] Alledia framework not found

Introduction

This time around we won't be talking about drones. WHAT? Yup, as most of you will probably know, unless you've been living under a rock, that TechOne together with T-Motor have released an FPV wing, the FPV Wing 900.

 

Unboxing

Contents of the box:

  • Central part, with pre-installed motor, ESC and BEC
  • 2 x wings
  • 2 x winglets
  • 2 x servos
  • Bag containing: servo rods, velcro straps, wood plates for the servos to sit in
  • Central fiber spars to add rigidity to the wings
  • 5050 x 3 propeller (buttercutter style prop)
  • Tape to reinforce the wing's leading edges

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNkQeDebsbM

 

Build

We'll now do a graphical step-by-step build of one of these wings, @EAM5892's:

 

1. ESC / BEC Prepping:

TechOne, after having released the wing, published a warning, claiming that the BEC didn't output 5V as it was supposed to. This is why it's important to check, before doing anything else in the build, the BEC's output voltage. Although the BEC already has a BEC to regulate the voltage, i decided to remove it completely, and instead use a PDB, which would not only solve the voltage problem (as it already had a built-in BEC), but also make all the soldering easier and cleaner. So I proceeded to remove the original ESC + BEC's clear heatshrink, i cut the IN cables of the BEC, and i put a new piece of heatshrink over the ESC.

Once that was done i put 2 double-sided tape strips where the ESC would go and i secured it with a zip-tie.

NOTE: in multiple wings, we've found that the neodymium magnets fall off on their own, so we recommend to glue them down.

 

2. PDB:

Using a 3D printed piece speciffically designed for this Matek PDB, I secured it to the lower plate of the center piece with 4 zip-ties and later taped the PDB to the piece. I also took advantage and pre-tinned all the pads that i'd later use.

Using the original thin wires that originally went from the XT60 to the BEC (which i made slighly longer, in order for them to reach the PDB without being too stretched), I soldered them to power the VTx (and the camera), and the Rx.

 

3. FPV:

Using the included metallic U-shaped bracket that comes with the camera, I secured it to the main plate with a single screw and a locknut, and later screwed the camera to the bracket and flattened it out, as this is not a multirotor, and we won't need any camera tilt.

After the camera I strapped the VTx using 2 zip-ties, and soldered the Vin for the VTx to the 12V BEC of the PDB.

Once the VTx was in place i made the camera - VTx lead. It's important to mention that i used the VSEN cable in order to be able to see the battery's voltage in the FPV feed. I soldered the VSEN labeled cable to a VBAT pad on the PDB to get direct battery voltage.

 

4. Receiver:

The receiver installation was quite simple: i fed it from the PDB's 5V BEC, and plugged in all the correspondant servo cables from the ESC and the two servos.

I replaced the original whip-style antennas for some flat style ones hoping to get a better range, and i guided them through the 3D printed piece.

And the central part is finished!

 

5. Wings:

This part really depends on who's doing the build: First i made the guiding slot for the servo wires to go through (in the bottom face of the wing), with a sharp blade (if it isn't it ciuld potentially damage the wing's material).

Afterwards, I made the slot in the flap, using a ruler to get it as parallel to the servo as possible.

I then screwed the servo to the wooden piece, and glued it to the wing using specific glue for the material. Using the same glue I glued the carbon part to the flap and repeated the same for the other wing.

The only thing left now is the transmitter part and we're ready to go flying!

 

Conclusions

The quality of the product is quite good, and the build is fun and pretty straight forward, even for thos who've never built one of these before. It's flight behaviour is impressive, after fine-tuning it for the pilot.

 

The only negative point that I could say is that, as stated previously, the BEC is deffective, and it's burned multiple components, such as servos or even receivers in a few occasions; but if you're careful around it, this TechOne products follows the T-Motor product line: premium products at very affordable prices, all with a VERY good performance.

 

Photo gallery:

SCROLL TO TOP